03 January 2011

Best bands I saw in 2010

16) Rolo Tomassi
playing a tiny, sold-out gig in The Chameleon (basically a loft). I didn't realise who the vocalist was till they started. I also saw them play in a polar opposite venue - outside the city hall on a Sunday afternoon in Sheffield, without compromising the insanity of their music

15) A Hawk & A Hacksaw
really impressive musicians playing weird instruments in crazy time signatures is my thing

14) Ariel Pink
power cut at the original venue meant we relocated to The Chameleon (where Rolo played). The band smoked a joint in there before they played & Ariel said it was the best crowd they'd seen in years, the gig finished at about 2am

13) Nedry
dubstep/post rock band I saw supporting other bands, twice. When I met Ayu, it was the only time I've met a musician I'm into where it didn't feel super weird! She's really cool

12) Mount Eerie
and that's the "black metal" Mt Eerie. 2 drummers, bass + synth bass, Elvereum + his guitar; awesome walls of sound

11) of Montreal
the theatrics made this, making up for the fact that I've kinda gone off their last couple of records. They covered Thriller!

10) Broken Social Scene
they were just having a great time

9) Darren Hayman
at The Chameleon again - Hayman was on his own, and didn't really bother with his microphone, but played the most engaging songs & he has the best sense of humour!

8) Autechre
sounded nothing like anything they've put on record, I thought I was going to die of bass

7) WHY?
Yoni Wolf is the coolest. This was on a boat!!

6) The Wave Pictures
my band supported them! Would surely have made the list anyway

5) Melt-Banana
for their encore, Yasuko announced that they'd play "10 more songs"... which they completed in under 3 minutes

4) Fucked Up
Pink Eyes spent the first song on stage, the rest of the night rampaging through the crowd, who were divided into people going mental at the front, and the super boring people stood way far back. At one point, Pink Eyes climbed onto the bar & motioned that he was about to stage dive into the standing-still half, did a countdown, lunged... then waved his arm like "I'm just fucking with you"

3) Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra
I missed out on the Godspeed reunion but this was still great...

2) Los Campesinos!
saw them twice, but only at festivals, both times involved me meeting strangers & us screaming lyrics at each other

1) Titus Andronicus
at the front of a tiny venue - amazing atmosphere. Then they stayed at my girlfriend's house. Best day ever??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to put you the little bit of word to thank you very much over again over the remarkable tactics you have provided here. It has been really particularly open-handed of people like you to convey without restraint all many people could possibly have supplied for an e-book to help with making some profit for themselves, primarily considering the fact that you could possibly have done it in the event you considered necessary. Those suggestions additionally acted to be a fantastic way to fully grasp that some people have the identical keenness similar to my own to know good deal more when it comes to this matter. I am sure there are lots of more pleasant periods ahead for individuals who read your forum.